This Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza with Arugula and Pickled Red Onions is the Perfect Pizza Party Recipe…
I’ll never understand people who don’t like pizza. What’s not to like? At first glance, this pizza may sound unappetizing, but the pickled red onions add a perfect pop of flavor against the rich sausage, pepperoni, and cheese. This sausage and pepperoni pizza gives the classic version a run for its money, and it’s so easy to make right in your own kitchen.
You’ll love this recipe because it’s…
simple + easy
uses around 10 ingredients
made in about 30 minutes
not your standard sausage + pepperoni pizza
perfect for upscale pizza parties
How to make this homemade sausage and pepperoni pizza…
Start by browning the Italian sausage in a large pan over medium-high heat separating the Italian sausage into large chunks with your spatula. When all sides of the sausage have browned, remove from the heat, and set aside until ready to use.
Next, make your pizza dough either from scratch (recipe coming soon) or store-bought. For this recipe, I used store-bought garlic and herb-flavored pizza dough because
I wanted dinner in less than thirty minutes. If using store-bought, follow the directions on the back of the package. The one I bought said 15-20 minutes in a 425-degree oven.
Make it interesting…
Now, stretch the pizza dough out, and lay it onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Top the dough with tomato sauce, minced garlic, pepperoni slices, Italian sausage, and shredded cheese.
Since I like my pizzas extra cheesy, I laid slices of mozzarella on top of the shredded cheese. This adds some interesting texture to the pizza as well. Once the cheese is melty and the crust is golden, top with fresh arugula and pickled red onion.
On the grill…
If you dig summer pizza, try grilling it. After you roll out the dough, lightly brush it with olive oil. Place the dough on the grill, and lightly cook both sides.
Add sauce, meat, and cheese, then cover and finish cooking until cheese has melted and the crust is a crisp, golden brown. Top with arugula and pickled red onion.
Quick Pickled Red Onions…
If you’d prefer to make homemade pickled red onions, I have a FREE quick-pickled veggie recipe that is part of my free resource library.
Craving more? Here are some other recipe(s) I think you might enjoy…
- 1 lbs Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 package pepperoni,
- 1 can tomato sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- sliced mozzarella, , optional
- 1 package prepared pizza dough, , notes*
- 1 c arugula,, per pizza
- pickled red onions, , notes*
- Preheat oven to pizza dough package instructions (425 degrees Fahrenheit according to mine). Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and parchment paper. Roll dough out to fit the baking sheet.
- In a hot pan, cook ground Italian sausage, breaking it up into large chunks with a spatula. When all sides of the chunks have browned, remove from heat.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce onto the pizza dough, top with slices of pepperoni, cooked Italian sausage, and shredded mozzarella. Lay sliced mozzarella on top if using.
- Bake according to pizza dough package directions or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is melty. (15-20 mins).
- Once the pizza has finished cooking, top with pickled red onion and a couple handfuls of fresh arugula.
pickled red onions can be store bought, but I have a quick pickled recipe available in my free resource library.
I bought premade garlic herb pizza dough (ball) which I found in the freezer section of my grocery store.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 604Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 1800mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 33g
Nutrition facts are for personal reference only as calories may vary on a case by case basis.