This recipe for Starbucks Strawberry Acai Refresher is lightly caffeinated with green coffee bean extract and has sweet notes of passion fruit for delightful afternoon sipping.
*This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclaimers page for more info*
Making Starbucks versions at home.
I prefer making versions of Starbucks drinks, like this Strawberry Acai Refresher because that means it's completely customizable. Especially when the original Starbucks drink always tastes so watered down. Less sugar? More strawberry? It's easy.
This was inspired by my Mango Dragon fruit Refresher recipe, and pairs well with this BLT Chicken Salad Sandwich, which is now discontinued. In fact, I spent many hours at my local Starbucks when I was in college, so naturally, I have lots of Starbucks copycat recipes you can check out, on this site.
What is the Starbucks Strawberry Acai Refresher made of?
I looked up the ingredients on the Starbucks website. Here is what was listed for the Strawberry Acai Refresher:
- White grape juice concentrate
- Natural flavors (I assume that’s the passion fruit)
- Citric Acid (additive/preservative)
- Natural Green Coffee Flavor (caffeine)
- Freeze Dried Strawberry Pieces
How to make the Strawberry Acai Refresher
This recipe makes approximately 48 oz (without ice). Here's how to make Starbuck's Strawberry Acai Refresher.
- First, make sure the powdered products dissolve; I use a small electric whisk.
- Add powdered ingredients with two tablespoons of water to a bowl and whisk together. This will make a slurry.
- Once the slurry is made, transfer it into your pitcher.
- Slowly pour in the rest of the liquid ingredients, then add the passion fruit puree, to taste.
- Pour into a pitcher or bottle to keep in the fridge. Gently stir or shake before serving. Pour over glass and top with fresh, frozen or freeze-dried strawberry slices.
Watch the video below to learn how to make this Strawberry Acai Refresher copycat recipe.
Please write how you make the recipe variations in the comments to help other reader make this drink.
- Dragon Drink - Replace some or all of the water with coconut milk. The brand of coconut milk you buy will determine the texture of the drink. Start with a splash of coconut milk in your Strawberry Acai Refresher, then if you need to, alter the amount of water next time.
- Lemonade - Replace the water with lemonade.
- No caffeine - Omit the Green Coffee Bean Extract
- Less Sugar/Sugar free - You can replace Monin's passion fruit puree with their passion fruit concentrate. The concentrate is sugar-free, but it will alter the taste of the drink. Furthermore, to make this Strawberry Acai Refresher totally sugar-free, also purchase sugar-free White Grape Juice.
Store any excess Strawberry acai refresher in a lidded jar. For best results, shake before serving. Ingredients may settle at the bottom.
Additionally, if making the dragon drink version, do not store premade with the coconut milk. It is best to pour the coconut milk into your single serve drink before consuming.
- Make sure you purchase white grape juice not apple juice.
- The beauty of making these drinks at home is you can customize it to your liking! I personally add more strawberry.
Scroll down to see full recipe.
Craving more? Check out these other Starbucks recipes.
Starbuck's Strawberry Acai Refresher copycat recipe
The real deal Starbuck's strawberry acai refresher recipe.
- 3 c water
- 2 1/2 c white grape juice
- 2 1/2 tsp freeze-dried strawberry (powder)
- 1 tsp freeze-dried acai (powder)
- 3/4 tsp green coffee bean extract (powder), add more according to package directions for more caffeine
- 2 tsp passion fruit puree, plus more if needed, 1/4 tsp at a time to adjust flavor
- Add powdered ingredients with a few tablespoons of water and stir until dissolved. This will make a slurry (a loose paste) ensuring you don't have large chunks of powder throughout.
- Once the powder is thoroughly mixed, slowly stir in the last bit of water, passion fruit puree and white grape juice. I use a glass jar with a lid to break up any excess powder.
- Serve over ice with freeze-dried, frozen, or fresh strawberries.
store in a bottle or pitcher, agitating before use.
You may need to add more water to adjust the taste depending on how much ice you use.
The original refresher at my starbucks always tastes very watered down. I prefer to add a bit more strawberry powder/passion fruit.
When storing excess, leave out the extra strawberries. Add with ice before drinking.
The color may be different depending on the acai powder.
The sugar-free passion fruit option will adjust the taste slightly, and the measurements may not be exact, start by adding a little at a time.
For those who like the pink drink, replace the water with coconut milk
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nature Restore USDA Certified Organic Freeze Dried Strawberry Powder, 8 Ounces, Non GMO, Gluten Free, Vegan
Navitas Organics Acai Powder, 4oz. Pouch
Monin Passion Fruit Puree 1 L 33.8 Fluid Ounces
Maximum Strength Pure Green Coffee Bean Super Extract, 4 Ounce, Supports Metabolism for Weight Management and Fat Burn, No GMOs and Vegan Friendly
Santa Cruz, Juice, White Grape, Organic, 1 Quart
Sugar free option: Monin Passion Fruit Flavor Concentrate 375ml Bottle
Augason Farms Freeze Dried Sliced Strawberries 6.4 oz
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 48 oz
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 304Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 31mgCarbohydrates: 67gFiber: 6gSugar: 45gProtein: 9g
Nutrition facts are for personal reference only as calories may vary on a case by case basis.
Follow Up + Update:
I tried a Large Strawberry Acai Refresher from Starbucks yesterday 2/28/2022 and paid $5.19 for it. I honestly was very bummed by the watery over iced product I received for my money, every penny counts.
I think “the acai” part is just a marketing ploy because I never tasted/nor saw anything resembling “acai” any thing in the drink I purchased.
So I made my own Strawberry Lemonade using what I had at my house and paid $0 for it. My next time making this I will possibly add the passion fruit and acai if I wanna spend money on those items I will pick them up at my local krogers for much LESS money than buying any of it online.
The color I got was IDENTICAL to the author’s drink with much less extra money for freeze dried ingredients/powders. Below I gave details on how I made mine. Try it and see how it works for you.
A Budget Friendly Strawberry Lemonade:
(Change ingredients for preferences)
Make 5 cups (40 oz) Country Time Lemonade
1/2 cup frozen sliced strawberries (for glass)
1/2 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 cup frozen strawberries
1. Refridgerate 5 cups of country time lemonade
**To Make Strawberry Syrup:**
2. In a small pot, combine strawberries, sugar, and water. Bring to a low boil and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-10 minutes, until fragrant and reduced.
Use a fine mesh strainer to strain syrup into a small bowl. Discard strained strawberries.
You will be left with approximately 2 Tablespoons of strawberry syrup.
To Make Drink:
3. In a tall glass add a handful of ice, 1/2 cup frozen strawberries, strawberry syrup. Pour 1-1/2 cups country time lemonade into glass. Add straw. Mix syrup with straw. Enjoy!
As my frozen strawberries thawed in the drink the strawberry flavor increases.
Adding any other juices will alter the color & flavor.
Could I make this using frozen strawberries ?
I haven't tried it, but I don't see why you couldn't. If you do, please update me and let us know what you did!
Alrighty. So when I first saw this drink, and the color, I was hooked. Had to go get all ingredients via the amazon links, and try it out.
Here’s what I learned-
1- tinker with this recipe. The first time I tried it out, the color was an opaque mostly purple color, not the semi transparent cute pink that the author made.
2- After tinkering around with this recipe, and looking at how other’s tweaked theirs, I found that for flavor, adding lemonade instead of water (about 3 cups, maybe just under- I really did this to taste lol) and about an 1/8th citric acid did the trick. Also, I ended up adding around 1- 1.5 Tbsp of strawberry powder instead of the tsps recommended for both color and flavor.
3- I used to be a barista at Starbucks and really love playin’ around with recipes in general, so for me, this was a fun thing to try out and tweak to my liking.:)
4- Lastly, even though I bought the recommended products to try out this drink, mixing the powders very well with about a Tbsp water, adding the lemonade and white grape juice(Welches), and mixing more after that…even after tinkering around for a little bit(I even strained the finished product through a mesh strainer to see how that would lift the color), the color still turned out opaque, but more rougey with a purple undertone. But, flavor was there! It’s not exactly strawberry acai- but she’s fantastic nonetheless(even if the color doesn’t match too well lol)!
If you have a little time to play around with this drink, or even if you don’t, I def recommend trying this out for yourself! See how you like it!:)
Hi Ashley! Thank you so much for the in depth comment. Hopefully it helps others. I still haven't tried the citric acid trick so thanks for testing it out! I appreciate you. ♥️
Absolutely Mandy! I so appreciate you and this recipe!❤️
What about the sugar? I see it as an ingredient but no where in the recipe
Hi Allison, the ingredients listed in the blog post is per Starbucks website of the original refresher. My version has no added granulated sugar. The sugar content comes from the grape juice and passion fruit puree. Please note, if using the passion fruit concentrate, not the puree, it will not be as sweet. Hope that clears it up.
This just tastes like grape juice to me. I can't really taste strawberry in it all.
Try adding,more strawberry. I do round scoops. Let me know if that helps
HUGE FAN of this drink...I mean..I dream about it(!)....So I purchased everything from Amazon, it arrived last evening....I made a double batch this morning...Revisions..added only half the water, and a bit more passionfruit syrup....had NO Trouble mixing the powders. I measured the Strawberry powder, the acai powder and the green coffee powder together in a large glass pitcher, using a flat back spoon, thoroughly breaking up all lumps.Then added just a bit of the white grape juice to make the slurry. Then added the liquids( water, grape juice, passionfruit) and mixed with a large milk frother ( the one I use for cappicino ) til all was blended. Ice and fresh sliced strawberries. The only thing I would say that would make it a bit closer would be to add a bit of citric acid..... but THIS recipe is pretty perfect.FIVE STARS!!!
If you were going to add citric acid, how much would you add?
Hi chris, I'm not really sure but I would probably try 1/2 teaspoon first and go from there.
Does the citric acid count for the "lemonade" that I ask them to add at Starbucks?
No, but you can ty adding lemonade in place of the water. You'll have to experiment but some readers have had success!
I bought all the ingredients but can not fine the amounts of ingredients go into making the Strawberry lemonade Aqui
Hi connie, the measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. as for the lemonade, replace the water with lemonade. However, I would advise you to halve the recipe and test it with your brand of lemonade, then adjust the ingredients to your liking! Hope that helps!
I read the reviews and was hoping I would have a different experience but I should have listened. I spent $70, got the exact linked items, and it didn't taste anything like the Starbucks acai. Chilled it, did the puree passion fruit, still not even close. I'm disappointed!
Heads up, the seller of the Acai powder has been having major quality issues. My bag was moldy and smelled rancid. I've reached out to them for a replacement. ALSO don't be a dummy like me and accidentally grab apple juice instead of grape juice. 🤦🏻♂️
Geez, thanks for letting me know. I'll change the link. If you got it off amazon, you should be able to just return it. I'm sorry that happened to you. And, I know what you mean about the grape juice. I grab apple juice by accident all the time! Thanks again.
Yeah they're not responding. Oh well. I put the powder in a new container and put it in the fridge as someone on amazon suggested. The smell definitely decreased so maybe it was just the bag? What is Acai powder supposed to smell like? It smells like dirt. And no matter how much i stir, I cant get it to dissolve.
Hey erik. Ya, it kinda smells like dirt. I've tried a couple of powders and It doesn't dissolve completely. That doesn't bother me personally, but you can try using a blender. Honestly, I prefer the mango dragonfruit refresher, so I use the acai in yogurt, now. You could try it without (if the flecks bug you), let me know how it tastes.
Alright everyone, I've made this about 3 times now and I have some thoughts and tips! 🙂
1. Most importantly, I've found that you need to let it sit for a few hours for the flavor to really set. I tried drinking it right after finishing and it tastes very watery. However, after a couple of hours, I found that the flavor was MUCH stronger. So you might have some trial and error. I typically add a little more passion fruit puree and strawberry into mine.
2. Using hot water to make the paste helps dissolve the powders more. But Mandy is right, the acai powder will never fully disolve.
3. The Acai powder smelled awful out of the bag, but I took someone's advice and moved it to a new container and refrigerated it and that helped the strong smell die down. It DOES smell like dirt so be aware of that, but it will not make your drink taste like dirt 😉
4. I personally love the lemonade sub for water, but be aware that it will be a lot sweeter. If you want it less sweet, but still have the lemon flavor, maybe just add some lemon juice!
5. No matter what I do, this doesn't taste a lot like the Starbucks drink, BUT it's really good anyway. If you are looking for a more healthy caffeine alternative to coffee or sodas, this is your best bet.
6. I did a lot of math, which I hate, to figure out if this $70 investment would be cheeper than starbucks. Yes, it is cheeper in the long run (less than half the price per oz of SB). But it is a risk. If you don't like it, your $70 out with a bunch of ingredients you don't need.
Thanks for the recipe and help Mandy!!
Well, I’m disappointed. Spent $70 on all the ingredients and followed the exact recipe and it taste nothing like Starbucks one! Tried adding more water and still doesn’t work!
Hi olga, I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. When I buy refreshers from my starbucks they are always so watered down. When I make this recipe, I usually add a little extra strawberry powder (just my personal preference). Are you using passion fruit puree or the concentrate? The concentrate is sugar-free and will change the taste of the starbucks version. Hope that helps you!
Could I use green tea instead of green coffee extract?
Hi hanna, green coffee extract and green tea are both different. The green coffee bean extract is mostly just for the caffeine boost. I don't notice a difference in taste when I make the recipe without, but if you try it with green tea let me know how it turns out. Hopefully that helps you.
Is there a way to store the Mixed ingredients ?
For example, mixing multiple servings for future quick pouring
If you are making the original version, you can place all of the ingredients into a large bottle or jug and shake before you pour into your cup. Just be sure to really mix the dry ingredients as best as you can when making the slurry to make sure large clumps don't form. If you are making the pink drink, omit the coconut milk and pour that fresh in your cup just before serving. hope that answers your question!
So, I normally get the lemonade strawberry acai.
1 cup water, 1 cup lemonade, the rest of this and I use about 6 tsp of strawberry. Tastes way more like what ive always get, not watered down. I like a more intense flavor in all foods though so strawberry varies for yall. I used country time as I know thats very similar or the same to what they use.
Hi, will it change the taste if I leave out the green coffee?
No, I've made it both ways. The green coffee bean is really just for the caffeine. I don't notice that much of a difference.
I'm definitely having trouble with this - I bought your exact ingredients and am following the measurements exactly. My drink turned out very dark and tastes really bitter and tastes nothing like at Starbucks. I tried adding more water and playing with adding more passionfruit, but don't want to go overboard with that if it's something else I'm doing wrong/am missing. Anything you can suggest? I'm a little frustrated after having spent quite a large amount of money for these ingredients.
Hi lorena, I'm so sorry you are having so much trouble.
1. please make sure you have the updated recipe card. Previously, I had made a mistake in the ingredients portion when filling in the card.
2. If you're using the passionfruit concentrate instead of the puree, keep in mind, it won't be as sweet. The concentrate is the sugar-free version.
3. make sure you are using white grape juice.
4. omit the green coffee bean extract until you get the mixture right.
5. Add powdered strawberry and acai into a small bowl, use just enough water to make a loose paste then add the liquid. If it helps, I have a quick video in the recipe card showing you the process.
Let me know if that helps.
Do you just switch out all the water for the lemonade? I'm trying to make the strawberry acai lemonade version.
Yes, replace the water with lemonade. Depending on the lemonade you use, you may need to adjust the amount or add some water to thin out the flavor. Let me know what you do. Maybe it'll help someone else looking for the lemonade version!
Can I use Tazo’s Passion Fruit Tea instead of the purée? Thank you!
Hi melissa, I have not tried that but if I did, I would brew with 2 tea bags. If you give it a go, let me know how it turned out. Maybe it'll help someone else out, too.
For the white grape juice concentrate, is this the frozen cans of welch's grape juice concentrate or the plastic bottles of white grape juice which states "made from concentrate".
Hi jennifer. I buy a bottle of welch's white grape juice.
Hi just wondering if u have tried to make the pink drink with this refresher? I bought all the ingredients and want to add coconut milk to make my own pink drink
Hey sarah, just replace the water with coconutmilk for the pink drink. You may have to adjust the ingredients slightly (ie add more strawberry powder or add more passionfruit puree), but that's going to be taste preference.
And make sure you use refrigerated coconutmilk like the so delicious brand NOT canned coconutmilk. Starbucks uses sweetened coconut milk but I prefer unsweetened --just personal preference.
Hope that helps!
Thank you for the tips!
Hey I was wondering if you can make this caffeine free or minimize the caffeine?
Hi paige! Of course! Just omit the green coffee bean to make it caffeine-free.
I love Lemonade Drinks from StarBucks.
Hi, I was just wondering if we needed both the concentrate and the puree for this recipe or if only one was necessary?
Only one. The concentrate is a sugar-free option for those who want a less sweet version while the puree contains sugar. The puree will give you a closer result to the original.
I was wondering if there were any other options for the passion fruit? I am having troubles finding it at my local grocery store and wasn’t sure if i could use a juice or a drink packet?
Hi katlynn. Since passionfruit is kind of hard to find, I've provided links directly in my blog post, the ingredients section, and the recommended products section of the recipe card for where you can purchase it. I have only ever used passionfruit puree for this recipe, but juice or syrup may also work. If you give it a go, let me know what you did. Maybe it'll help someone else, too.
How much of each ingredient per 48 ounces??
With coronavirus my starbucks is closed. I’m having withdrawals. Thank you.
Hi vickie, the measurements are in the recipe card at the bottom of the page. Are you having trouble viewing them? Please let me know so I can try to fix the problem.
What are the exact quantities of the ingredients you don’t have any of that listed
Hello Laura. Do you mean the measurements? I have updated this recipe card. Can you tell me if you can see it now? Thanks for letting me know.
HOW do you have over 50 reviews and only 4 comments? Kind of nervous to commit to these ingredients and this recipe, if I don't get to see that people have been trying this... whether the recipe was great as-is, just okay or I just need to make modifications to taste.
The recipe card allows for reviews without leaving a comment. I realize that is really frustrating for users, but not everyone wants to write! Hope that answers your question.
I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. I’m following every direction, but my drink tastes nothing like it does at Starbucks. I bought all of your exact products. Any recommendations?
Hi caroline. I'm sorry you are having such trouble. The passion fruit that I had recommended in this recipe is sugar-free which changes the flavor slightly. I would first start by adding (or reducing) the water content. Typically I have to add more water. If that doesn't help, the next step I would take is changing the amount of passion fruit. I hope that helps! Hold tight, I will be updating this recipe within the next week with some updates I've been testing. Thanks for your patience!
Hey caroline, just wanted to let you know I've updated the recipe. I realized I had not doubled some of the ingredients. I'm so sorry for the confusion. I hope this helps!
How many times can you make the recipe using the amazon ingredients? This is my favorite starbucks drink and think this could be worth it. Do you have a recipe for the lemonade version?
I believe it was over 30 times before you had to repurchase something. I can't quite remember the exact number. Also, for the lemonade, just replace the water with lemonade. This may take some trial and error depending on the sweetness of the lemonade you are using. If you find it to be too sweet, you can try adding a bit of water to thin out the flavors.
Hope that helps you!