This Asparagus tart with whipped feta and poached eggs makes an easy Sunday Brunch.
With warm weather comes fresh produce. I always look forward to spring produce, specifically, asparagus. Recently, I revamped my tomato tart recipe. Redoing that recipe, made me want to make another tart using the lovely asparagus I bought. I had done this before, but only ever posted the photo on Instagram. Although I never wrote a recipe.
When I made it previously, I left the asparagus and puff pastry whole. While this works, it's a bit hard to eat. Instead, I've decided to do two things differently: bake it in individual servings and shave the asparagus.
You'll love this asparagus tart recipe because it's
filled with asparagus
*This article may contain affiliate links. For more information, please refer to my disclaimers and policies page.
How to shave asparagus
Shaving asparagus is a recent discovery for me, and I don't think I will ever cook it any other way. It takes some effort, but the results are truly worth it. In my opinion, it's 100x more convenient to eat. I used about two medium/large asparagus per individual pastry.
To shave the asparagus, use a vegetable peeler to make long strips; it's okay if it's not perfect. You can grab this OXO Vegetable Peeler on Amazon. It has a blade that moves with the peel and a nice grippy handle, which makes it easy to hold.
Whipped feta is a total game-changer...
I tried my hand at whipped feta, and it has changed the game for me. I've used it on everything this week: burgers, pretzels, truffle fries, and pesto potatoes. To make the whipped feta, I used eight ounces of tomato basil feta cheese —any flavor feta cheese will work, and about a fourth of a cup of whipped cream cheese blended, using my food processor, until smooth.
How to make an asparagus tart
Start by preheating the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, or to package instructions. Cut the puff pastry into four rectangles and spread the whipped feta over the dough, making sure to leave about an inch around the edge.
Next, top with asparagus, then fold in the sides of the puff pastry, making sure to press down to ensure it sticks. After, brush the puff pastry with a beaten egg before baking. Finally, season everything with a pinch salt, pepper, and red chili flakes; then, bake. Once finished, I decided to top mine with leftover pesto, prosciutto, and a quick drizzle of olive oil.
Here are some great pesto recipes
A note about the poached eggs
I follow Serious Eats tutorial on how to poach and store eggs, but you could top these with fried eggs instead.
Craving more? Here are some other recipe(s) I think you might enjoy
- Check out my most popular recipe, here: Starbucks copycat Mango Dragonfruit Refresher
- Or try this Eggs in Purgatory recipe (only takes 15 minutes): Shakshuka Recipe
- And try my summery tomato tart
Asparagus Tart with Whipped Feta and Poached Eggs
This easy asparagus tart uses shaved asparagus and topped with prosciutto and homemade pesto. Finally, this asparagus tart is divided into individual servings for a simple brunch idea.
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 8 large stalks of asparagus, shaved
- 8 oz feta
- 1/4 c whipped cream cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- poached eggs
- pesto , see notes
- a pinch salt, pepper and chili flakes
- 1 small drizzle of olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, or according to package instructions.
- Shave asparagus into long "noodles" using a vegetable peeler
- In a food processor, whip together feta and cream cheese until smooth.
- Next, cut the sheet of puff pastry into 4 squares.
- Spread whipped feta onto the middle of each puff pastry piece; then, top with shaved asparagus making sure to leave about an inch around the edges.
- Fold the edges over, pressing down to adhere. Brush puff pastry with egg wash and bake for about 25 minutes (or until golden brown and puffy).
- Once the asparagus has finished top with a spoonful of pesto, prosciutto and a pinch of salt, pepper and chili flakes. Finish with a light drizzle of olive oil.
Check out my homemade pesto recipes in the post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 4 people
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 391Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 162mgSodium: 930mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g
Nutrition facts are for personal reference only as calories may vary on a case by case basis.
online cake delivery in Delhi
It looks very yummy.I'll be making this recipe this weekend and I am so excited! Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe with us.
It's so quick and easy. I love it! ENJOY!