How to make the Original Pumpkin Spice Latte and Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte recipe.
Every season, Starbuck's drops their holiday-specific drinks, and they are so popular. These are easy to recreate at home, so you can keep drinking it even when it's been discontinued. This series will include the original Pumpkin Spice Latte, the Salted Caramel Latte, and the Peppermint Mocha Latte. Today we're going to focus on the Pumpkin Spice Latte.
I've done quite a few Starbuck's copycat recipes on this blog --like a lot. You can find them by typing 'Starbuck's copycat recipes' in the search bar at the top. Some of my most popular recipes include the Mango Dragonfruit Refresher, Strawberry Acai refresher, and Pumpkin Cold Brew.
Now, when I make my Starbuck's copycat recipes, I want my recipes to be as close to EXACT as possible, so that's what you're getting. At the bottom of this post, I'll provide flavoring options (including sugar-free).
We'll start by talking about the ingredients.
What is the Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte actually made of?
Milk - typically 2%
Pumpkin Spice Sauce
Pumpkin Spice Topping - Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Clove
How to make Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte
A traditional latte consists of espresso, steamed milk and a small amount of milk foam. If you're like me, and frequently make your own lattes at home, buying a small espresso machine is a good idea. It's not necessary, but it makes this process much easier.
Check out my 'what to buy' heading for some recommendations, and the chart at the bottom of this page for specifics.
If you have an espresso machine, this process is easy.
- Tightly pack your ground coffee into the portafilter.
- Add water (see chart below) into the chamber.
- Brew the espresso.
- Steam the milk using the steaming wand. Use the wand to create foam by agitating the milk. The temperature should reach between 150 - 160 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Add flavorings, espresso, and steamed milk. Enjoy!
Without an espresso machine...
- Brew extra strong coffee using your method of choice. For stronger coffee, use double the grounds and try a darker roast. This may take some trial and error to get it just right.
- Using a mason jar, microwave your milk for 15 seconds at a time until it reaches temperature.
- Cap the mason jar and vigorously shake to create foam. This option will create more foam because it is not as controlled, but it will get the job done.
- Add flavorings, espresso, and hot milk. Enjoy!
*Iced Pumpkin Spice Latte options
- Make espresso using your preferred method.
- Place espresso into the fridge to cool. This will keep the ice from melting.
- Add ice to your glass
- Add flavoring.
- Pour in cold espresso.
- Fill with milk.
Other notes - If you are using a traditional pot to make your espresso, add an extra ounce of water to account for the coffee grounds soaking up water.
According to Starbuck's Website, they use pumpkin SAUCE which is thicker in consistency than syrup; the sauce has pumpkin puree in it. However, if you prefer, you can use syrup for a similar flavor.
What to Buy?
I've used a similar one for a long time. I think it's a great, inexpensive beginner's machine.
Get it here | https://amzn.to/36gS4Sf
Milk Frothing Pitcher
Milk frothing pitcher with handle for steaming milk.
Get it here | https://amzn.to/2Wm1mrw
Pumpkin Sauce: https://amzn.to/2Nk0z6v
Alternative Pumpkin Sauce option (Torani): https://amzn.to/2NpCRFQ
Sugar-free Pumpkin Syrup option: https://amzn.to/36nnqqC
Large Pumpkin Sauce Option (64 oz): https://amzn.to/2PomRqp
Making the Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Latte Chart
**translations between pumps and tablespoons and espresso shots to ounces are approximations**
Tall (12 oz)
1 shot espresso - 1 oz.
3 pumps pumpkin sauce - 1 1/2 tbsp
4 oz Milk
*Iced PSL - 1 cup ice
2 shots espresso -2 oz.
4 pumps pumpkin sauce - 2 tbsp
6 oz milk
*Iced PSL - 1 1/2 c. ice
Venti (20 oz)
2 shots espresso -2 oz.
5 pumps pumpkin sauce - 2 1/2 tbsp
8 oz milk
*Iced PSL - 2 cups ice
Check out all of my Starbuck's recipes, here.
- 2 oz extra strong coffee
- 2 tbsp pumpkin sauce
- 6 oz milk, , steamed
- pumpkin spice, , cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove.
- Brew extra strong coffee using your method of choice.
- Steam milk using espresso machine milk steaming wand
- microwave milk for 15 seconds at a time (until HOT). Shake to froth.
- Combine ingredients and top with pumpkin spice
note: non-dairy milk does not froth. 2% is commonly used at Starbuck's.
For tall and venti conversions please visit my blog post under Starbucks pumpkin spice latte chart.
For Iced version, please visit my blog post -
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 16 ounces
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 197Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 682mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 6gSugar: 7gProtein: 9g
Nutrition facts are for personal reference only as calories may vary on a case by case basis.