Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is SO GOOD, and now you can make it at home!
PSL season is here, and the NEW Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is perfect for the transition into fall. Frankly, I'm more of a salted caramel girl, but that's a recipe for later (so make sure you sign up for my newsletter, to be notified of when I drop the next few recipes in this series: salted caramel, the original PSL, gingerbread and Peppermint Mocha.)
To be honest, when I started this blog, I didn't think it would become a hub for Starbuck's copycat recipes, but it kind of has.
Now, on to Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew. I will list all of the ingredients, and where to buy in the "What do I need?" heading at the bottom of this article!
You'll love this Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew copycat recipe because you...
can make it at home
don't have to spend $5 on a cup of coffee
can feed your PSL addiction
make it sugar-free (optional)
make it decaf (optional)
What's in Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew?
cold brew coffee
pumpkin cream cold foam
pumpkin spice topping (cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and clove)
How do I make cold brew coffee?
It starts with cold brew coffee, obviously.
Starbuck's sells its own cold brew kit.
However, you can make your own with this simple formula:
1 cup of cool water for every 1/2 cup of coarsely ground coffee.
You will yield less coffee than you make because the coffee grounds will soak up some of the water.
EXAMPLE: 4 cups of cool water + 2 cups of coarse ground coffee beans = approximately 3 1/2 cups of cold brew concentrate.
How to make Starbuck's Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew overview...
- Place the water and coffee into a large jar, and give it a good stir.
- Cap it, and refrigerate for 12-24 hours. Starbuck's steeps its coffee for 20 hours.
- Once it has steeped, remove the coffee beans.
- Dilute the cold brew concentrate with equal parts cold water. More or less depending on your taste buds. For a stronger cup, dilute with less water.
- Prepare the pumpkin spice cream.
- Make the Starbuck's pumpkin cream cold brew.
How to remove the coffee beans...
Okay, so you've steeped the coffee for 20 hours. Now, you need to remove the coffee beans. I use a fine-mesh sieve and a thin kitchen towel I bought from IKEA. Similarly, you can use muslin or cheesecloth.
Ideally, the towel should be thin enough to be almost see-through but woven tightly enough that there are no holes. You could also use a muslin bag which I'll have linked at the bottom of this post.
Place the fine-mesh sieve over a large measuring cup, and lay the towel over the sieve; the towel acts as a filter. Slowly pour the coffee into the towel-covered sieve to strain it.
Once the coffee has been strained, measure the amount. Add in equal parts of cold water to your coffee concentrate. If the final measurement after the coffee beans have been removed is 3 1/2 cups, then you would add 3 1/2 cups of cold water to the coffee.
If you prefer a stronger brew, add less water. I always start with less and keep adding more water until it's perfect for me. Refrigerate the cold brew, in a jar or covered pitcher, for up to one week.
Onto the Pumpkin Cream Cold Foam...
When you have made the cold brew, the next thing to make is the pumpkin cream cold foam.
Starbuck's uses pumpkin spice sauce to flavor its cold cream. For this recipe, I am using pumpkin spice syrup because I already have it for making PSL's at home. However, I will list some pumpkin spice sauces that you can try, too.
According to the Starbuck's website, the cream foam consists of cream and milk, but I've found I prefer just using heavy whipping cream for this because it sets up much easier.
Combine 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream with 2 pumps (about two tablespoons) pumpkin spice sauce into a jar. To make light work, use a handheld frother, OR a blender. It's possible to do this by hand, it'll just take longer-- shake the jar vigorously until the mixture starts to foam, and thickens.
The pumpkin cream will completely and firmly coat the back of a spoon.
NOTE: The ingredients state that starbucks uses pumpkin puree AND vanilla syrup in their cold foam. However, I skip this because the cold brew (coffee) has vanilla syrup mixed in.
Making Starbuck's Pumpkin Spice Cold Brew...
- Fill a glass of choice with ice.
- Pour in cold brew coffee.
- Pump in vanilla using the table below.
- Top with a few heaping tablespoons of pumpkin spice cold cream.
- Sprinkle with ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and clove
- Stir and enjoy.
How much vanilla syrup?
*One pump of syrup is approximately 1/2 tablespoon*
Tall: 12 oz 1 pump
Grande: 16 oz 2 pumps
Venti: 24 oz 3 pumps
Trenta: 31 oz 4 pumps
What do I need, and where do I find it?
- 4 c cool water, plus more cold water to dilute after steeping, see notes
- 2 c coarse ground coffee, , see notes
- vanilla syrup, , see notes
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- pumpkin spice, ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove
- Pour cool water and coarse ground coffee into a large jar, stir well and place in the fridge.
- Steep coffee for 12-24 hours.
- Using a fine-mesh sieve draped with a thin cloth (or muslin bag) place over a large measuring cup, and pour over the cold brew to strain coffee grounds.
- After the grounds have been removed, check to see how much concentrate is left. Dilute with equal parts water to make the cold brew.
- To make the pumpkin cream: vigorously agitate heavy whipping cream with pumpkin spice sauce until frothy.
- Fill glass with ice, pour in cold brew and vanilla syrup*.
- Top with pumpkin cream, then sprinkle with pumpkin spice.
Basic cold brew formula: 1 cup of cool water per 1/2 cup of coarse ground coffee beans.
For stronger coffee, dilute with less water.
For vanilla syrup (1 pump = approx. 1/2 TBSP):
Tall (12 oz) - 1 pump
Grande (16 oz) - 2 pumps
Venti (24 oz) - 3 pumps
Trenta (31 oz) - 4 pumps
*starbuck's steeps its cold brew for 20 hours*
They also sell bottles of cold brew and kits to make it at home. (listed in the recommended products below.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pumpkin Reàl, Pumpkin Spice Puree Infused Syrup, 16.9 FL OZ Squeezable Bottle (Pack of 1)
Monin - Organic Vanilla Syrup, Naturally Smooth Sweetness, Great for Coffee, Shakes and Cocktails, Gluten-Free, Vegan, Non-GMO (750 Milliliters)
Starbucks Cold Brew Coffee | Signature Black Pitcher Packs | 3 Boxes (Makes 6 Pitchers Total)
Starbucks Cold Brew Coffee, Black Unsweetened, 11 oz Glass Bottles, 6 Count
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 209mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are for personal reference only as calories may vary on a case by case basis.